By Editor In Chief/Lord Of Words Ed M Morris
I enjoy craft beer, I really do, but I don't think I have the patience to actually brew my own. But lately, I have been looking at one of those all in one box at home brewing kits. My thinking is, if a kit has everything I need, I will be more open to giving it a try. I've been looking at them on Amazon (we don't have brewing supply place near us)
and I put together a list of 3 kits, from inexpensive to a little pricey.
I've been told that these kits are a great way to start someone off into home brewing if they are on the fence about it, like me.
1. Brooklyn Brew Shop Beer Making Kit, Everyday IPA - $34.99. Comes with the following:
- Included: beer making mix (grain, hops, and yeast), 1-gallon glass fermenter, chambered airlock, glass thermometer
- Also includes: racking cane, tubing, tubing clamp, screw cap stopper, and packet of sanitizer
- Makes 1 gallon of beer (9-10 12 ounce bottles)
- The second batch only requires new ingredients and packet of sanitizer; Kit is reusable
- Not included: strainer, funnel, pot, and bottles
Notes - This starts you off making the most popular style of craft brew around, the IPA, but this isn't an all in one kit, you still have to buy additional equipment, so that might be a show stopper for that person just getting started.
2. Mr. Beer Premium Edition 2 Gallon Homebrewing Craft Beer Making Kit - $50.00. Mr. Beer seems to be one of the standards when it comes to starter brewing kits. This kit comes with more than the Brooklyn offering:
- Kit contains a compact, lightweight, shatterproof, reusable Little Brown Keg fermenter that is modeled after the design of professional brewing equipment and brews 2 gallons (16 pints) of delicious craft beer.
- Mr. Beer brewing extracts are created by a renowned team of World Master Brewers on state-of-the-art equipment at Coopers Brewery. Brewing extracts cut multiple time, equipment, space and cost-intensive steps out of the homebrew process – while producing a consistently great-tasting beer.
- The Mr. Beer Premium kit includes the Classic American Light brewing extract. Classic American light is a pale straw color, mild in flavor, and a lighter body with a crisp dry finish. This refill is a true representation of our nation’s favorite beer style
- Bottle your beer into eleven 25 oz. shatterproof reusable bottles that are specifically designed for carbonating beverages. These plastic bottles allow brewers to perform a “squeeze test” to determine if their beer is done carbonating while allowing the bottles to remain sealed until carbonation is complete.
- Also includes pre-measured carbonation drops for convenient, mess free carbonation, as well as a patented, robust brewing yeast that performs well in a wide-range of temperature, giving brewers the flexibility to brew in a variety of temperatures.
So you get everything you need to start and finish a batch, from extracts to bottles to package up the end result. No need to buy any additional gear. This might be the one for me.
3. Northen Brewing Supply Beer Brewing Starter Kit - $109.99. I think this might be the kit for someone who has decided that this will be their new hobby. Comes with plenty of equipment:
- Kit Includes Block Party Amber Ale recipe kit, 6.5-gallon fermentor w/ lid & Bubbler airlock, Bottling Bucket w/Spigot assembly, Fermenter's Favorites Bottle filler, 5 Gallon Stainless Brew Kettle, 21” Stainless Spoon Auto Siphon, 5 ft. Siphon Tubing & Siphon Tube Holder, Cleaner/Sanitizer - Fermenter's Favorites Oxygen Wash, Bottle Brush, Royal Crown Bottle Capper & Caps (60ct.)
- Yeilds 5 gallons of beer.
- Does not come with bottles.
I almost pulled the trigger, until I saw that it didn't come with bottles. I am trying to find that all-in-one kit. But besides that, this kit looks impressive.
After checking all the reviews and really thinking if this is something I want to try, I decided to order the Mr. Beer kit. After I give it a few batches, I will do a follow-up and detail my experiences with it.